200 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training in Greece, 19th December – 10th January 2022
200 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training in Greece
This course reflects a therapeutic approach to yoga in line with the instructors wide-ranging experience. Which includes 30 plus years of experience as a professional shiatsu therapist and teacher.
The profound understanding of health, energy, psychology, mindfulness, meditation, postures and nutrition taught here allow for a deeper understanding of Yoga, a higher level of teaching as well as for a life changing experience. SYM is a recognised member school of Yoga Alliance Intentional (YAI), the International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT) and the International Yoga Federation (IYF).
The Asana practice taught at SYM is based on the Iyengar and Sivananda Yoga methods, with a focus on flow, steadiness and relaxation. Asana practice includes the exploration of the Chakras and the Chinese acupuncture meridians with an emphasis on profound healing properties.The course include’s Pranayama, Restorative or Therapeutic Asana, Relaxation (Savasana), Meditation, Nutrition, Yoga Philosophy and Psychology, Bodywork and Chakra Balancing.
To this end, SYM provides training of the highest possible standard, by a team of dedicated and skilled professionals. Sequences taught are designed to improve both strength and flexibility as well as bring awareness to the flow of subtle energy through the body. The course emphasises teaching from beginner to intermediary levels.
It, therefore, concentrates on safety, the use of props, correct breathing and alignment, restorative asana, relaxation, healing and meditation as well as more dynamic and strong asanas to improve strength, endurance and will power.
Students are encouraged to respect their own limitations and are not expected to exercise beyond their own physical capacities. However, all students should be in general good health both physically and emotionally, in order to complete this course with the focus and dedication it requires. Taught in English and Greek.
This program will enable future graduates to teach with confidence. The sequences taught are designed to provide an excellent foundation to all the basic poses, to teach avoiding any injury and where necessary adapt poses and sequences for differing physical levels and needs.
Emphasis is on getting prana (energy) to flow while doing the poses, to understand their therapeutic benefits and for each person to practice with enjoyment, correct breathing, correct alignment and sincerity: Ultimately harmonizing mind, body and energy.
The spiritual notions of yoga can also be found in other philosophical/spiritual traditions such as Buddhism or the Western traditions. This will be looked at more closely in the yoga philosophy classes.
Gerry Rixen is a registered senior yoga teacher SYT with Yoga Alliance Professionals and a registered teacher with Yoga Alliance International and the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre.
He started his yoga practice with the Iyengar method and developed his approach in Yoga therapy over 25 years, with professional experience as a teacher and therapist in Shiatsu and Chinese Medicine including thousands of personal treatments.
He is the founder and director of SYM-Ltd and has been teaching Yoga, Shiatsu, Chinese medicine, and related subjects in France, Spain, Greece, Italy, and the UK.
His profound knowledge of oriental healing arts, martial arts and philosophy is enhanced by his deep understanding of western spiritual and esoteric traditions, including Platonism and Hermetism, Astrology and Psychology.
Over the years he has fused his unique understanding of diagnosis, energy healing, nutrition, oriental and western therapy, psychology and philosophy to create truly interesting workshops related to personal transformation and breakthrough, deep psychological insights, the healing of chronic and degenerative disease and spiritual clarity and advancement.
After completing his studies in Archaeology and Anthropology at Cambridge University he worked as a language teacher and TV-news journalist before dedicating himself full time to healing and teaching. Gerry is fluent in English, French, German and Spanish.
This course is divided into 160 contact hours with a teacher and 40 non-contact hours of self study.
Yoga Asanas: 86 hours
• Basic routine, postures and variations,
• Sun salutation as a pranic generator with chakra awareness , therpautic principles, interaction with the vital organs, the endocrine system, spinal manipulation & pyscho dynamics
• Guided Relaxation
• Breathing technique; abdominal breathing, full yogic breath
• Two pranayama techniques for cleansing and healing
• Recuperative & therapeutic postures for specific ailments
• Advanced postures
• Meditation to focus and still the mind
Practice and Teaching: 20 hours
• Beginners and intermediary classes
• In depth asana practice and variations
• Detailed look at specific postures for health and chronic disease, for example postures for IBS, cancer, stress, burn out, insomnia ect
• Yoga poses for the bodily systems; including: immune system, nervous system, hormonal system, digestive system, respiratory, genito-urinary and circulatory system
• Spinal health
• Teaching techniques: Use of Props and hand on assisting, Guiding, coaching, leading, use of language and communication, finding your personal teaching style, designing classes for mixed levels, teaching new postures in-depth
• Assessing individual needs, ethics and safety guidelines
Anatomy, Physiology: 14 hours
• Basic anatomy and physiology; including, the spine, the hormonal system, the nervous system, the urinary system, the immune system and the reproductive system but with particular emphasis on respiration, circulation and digestion.
• Physiological and energetic effects of asanas, pranayama, meditation and relaxation.
• Benefits and contraindications for all asanas (poses) covered.
• Effects of structural and postural alignment on health and wellbeing.
• Physiological and emotional effect of stress.
• Principles of diet and nutrition.
Philosophy, Psychology, Lifestyle, Energetics and Ethics: 30 hours
• Philosophy and aim of yoga.
• The five points of yoga.
• Prana (Qi) Nadis (Meridians) and Chakras (energy centres).
• The human energy field.
• The 4 elements and the akasha.
• The five koshas. The bandhas. The 4 paths of yoga.
• The 8 limbs of yoga.
• Principles of self-development.
• Teacher student relationship.
• Introduction to the Bhagavad Gita. Karma and reincarnation.
• The Gunas. The Yugas.
• Mantras and Kirtans Principles and benefits of meditation
• Ethics for yoga teachers.
Homework and Group Study: 40 hours (non-contact)
Self study of given assignments
Karma Yoga: 10 hours
Karma Yoga is a fundamental tenant of Yoga and means selfless service. Students are expected to participate in some of the daily chores as part of this service. This is around 30 minutes per day.
08:00 – 10:30: Asanas, Pranayama (main asana class)
10:30 – 10:45: Break
10:45- 12:00: Meditation, Philosophy, Ethics
12:00 – 14:00: Lunch / Break
14:00 – 16:00: Self study
16:00 – 17:45: Anatomy & Physiology, Yoga Psychology, Yoga Theory
17:45 – 18:00: Break
18:00 – 20:00: Asana, Teaching & Practicum, Yoga Therapy
20:00 – 21:00: Dinner
Please Note: This is an example of the daily schedule; times may change slightly due to season and location. We have 5 full days of study, Saturday is a half day with teacher, with afternoons dedicated to self-study and Sundays as free days. We advise students not to eat any breakfast before the morning asana class but there is time for snacks in the morning break.
This is an example of the daily schedule; please note times may change slightly due to season and location.
Surrounded by towering mountain ranges, olive farms and orange trees, Sparta sits right next to the renowned ancient heritage site of Mystras. The energy of the past is still felt in this authentic Greek city, where great food, kind people and endless hikes are just on your door step. A great way to bring in the new year.
The course is held at the Spartan Yoga Shala (please check ‘spartanyogashala’ or follow these links to search on Facebook & Instagram for more details of the shala). Students will be accommodated in hotels in central Sparta.
Dormitory : €2250* / Twin €2450 / Single : €2800*
Course fees include tuition, accommodation, course manual and pick up (and drop off) from Sparta Bus station, two main vegetarian meals per day and Yoga Alliance International certification.
What past students have said
”I’m so blessed to have taken my 200 hour yoga teacher training in Cervera Del Maestre with Gerry as the head instructor. Just over 3 weeks of training I found myself very centred and inspired I would do this training all over again with no hesitation. I highly recommend this training for anyone who wants to teach yoga and immerse themselves in the Spanish culture! It’s incredible and an experience I’ll never forget.” Cory Dillingham, Colorado, USA
”The 200 hour teacher training in Spain was satisfying and fulfilling in every single way. It was exactly what I was looking for. The teachers explain in detail how to get safely in and out of each pose and what the correct alignment should be like…. And all that in a very relaxed and easy going atmosphere. Not to mention the food: I have never eaten such healthy, quality food in my entire life. An experience never to forget!”. Griet, Belgium
”Gerry’s unique esoteric knowledge ties Indian philosophy to the Western traditions, making the theory very interesting and relevant to our own ancient culture. The deep understanding of the chakras and prana taught opened up a different dialogue for me allowing for a truly profound experience. The asana practise was challenging, therapeutic and energising, and i took away a wealth of knowledge to improve my practise and help others with. The food, people and location were all wonderful and I highly recommend this course for all those ready to embark on their yoga journey.” Ana, London, UK
What to pack
* Clothes for yoga practise and meditation
* Plain clothes with no big logos. Preferably white, but also blue, yellow, orange, pink, ect all are ok. We work with colour in yoga and therefore wear colours that permit the flow of energy and light.
* Your swim wear, and sun hat!
* Comfortable walking shoes
* Health insurance (EU Health card)
To request further information on this Yoga Teacher Training in Greece, please complete the form below and someone will get back to you within 24 hours.