Yoga and Creativity Retreat in Japan, 10th – 16th April
This retreat has a special offer on, receive an addition complimentary set of mala beads when you book with a friend. Fill in the form to make an enquiry or booking and we will get back to you within 24 hours. You can also contact the team direct on email@example.com.
Yoga and Creativity Retreat in Japan
Back by popular demand! Our newly redesigned Japan itinerary is set for the height of cherry-blossom season in the land of the rising sun. Stay in the historic heart of the city, and enjoy cultural activities, tastings, yoga in a temple, and a Japanese spa day.
This time we’ll be accompanied by our private guide during our week and led through some of the more hidden, off-the-beaten-path experiences and sacred places in and around Kyoto. We’ll be exploring yoga combined with creativity classes – both practices designed to lead us to a closer look into the Zen mindset of simplicity, quiet inward focus, and being present.
Yoga and meditation classes will be held daily to prepare our bodies and minds, and then our travel journal creation classes, led by collaborator Julian Hyzler, will help us find news ways of seeing. Both yoga and art working together to find focus in the many layers of smells, sites, and sounds that abound in this amazing part of the world.
Come away with us for a week in the incredible and culturally-rich country of Japan. where we’ll be staying in the cultural capital of Kyoto, the city with 1600 temples.
We will be finding a nice balance of traditional with modern in our home for the week, a new modern hotel built with the spirit of the Japanese ryokan (traditional guest house) but with all of the modern conveniences.
Guests will enjoy western-style beds in the usual minimal Japanese style. The hotel offers a Japanese bath spa room for guests as well as an amazing restaurant, bar, and lounge, and it’s located in Kyoto’s famous Gion district, where one may spot a Geisha walking the streets.
Opened in 2017, the Celestine Kyoto Gion is unmistakably a contemporary luxury hotel, and while the name may not be well known outside of Japan, it’s the flagship product of an experienced hospitality group; the Celestine hotels, here and in Tokyo, are on par with the luxury hotels operated by the big international groups.
What sets this particular Celestine apart is the way it seamlessly integrates the look and feel of modern luxury hospitality with the tranquility and ease of ryokan life. The setting is urban, but only just, with the Kamo river on one side and Mount Higashi on the other, and with several historic and cultural sites within walking distance.
The soaring stone-clad double-height lobby, with its floor-to-ceiling windows and curvaceous modern furniture, sets an impressively stylish tone. The rooms, meanwhile, split the difference between modern luxury and tatami tradition — you’re instructed to remove your shoes at the threshold, in case you’re not already in the habit.
And the restaurant, while not strictly a ryokan-style kaiseki, is a piece of history all the same; housed in its own separate classically-styled building is the new iteration of Yasaka Endo, a Kyoto institution for over a hundred years.
- Walking tour of the Higashiyama / Gion district of Kyoto
- Day to visit surrounding area sites including the Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) and the Bamboo Forest
- Visit to the Nishiki Market to explore the street foods, shops, and market vibe
- Experiential Japanese cultural lesson (tea-ceremony, textile class)
- Private tour of the Fushimi Inari Red Torii Gates
- Sake brewery tour + tasting
- Luxury Spa day with treatments
Daily meditation and yoga classes will be offered in a way to relax, stimulate, and help guests grow in their own personal practice. Classes are open to all levels, beginner to practiced, and can range from gentle, restorative, and more vigorous vinyasa flow and ashtanga styles.
Our yoga classes during our time in Japan will take place in a private next-door temple. We’ll enjoy the serene experience of a Japanese garden just in front of us, while we practice in the room of wood, paper, and tatami mats, where monks still meditate today.
One day we will be led through a meditation by a monk as the start to our yoga class. This is a very special and unique experience, one of which many tourists will never have been able to participate.
Healthful, vegetarian food is part of the retreat experience, including breakfast and dinner daily, and select lunches, either hosted at the hotels or out and about in town. Some meals will have an option for seafood as we’re in the land of some of the freshest fish on the planet.
Ingredients are local and seasonal, and our meals will be inspired by the Japanese traditions. We’ll enjoy a traditional coursed “kaiseki” menu, a sushi dinner, a ‘yufodu’ lunch, as well as some modern selections at newer restaurants, a tea-ceremony, and even a sake-tasting!
Prices are in US Dollars
Inclusive Retreat Price = $5,980 (shared room*), +$990 (single room)
- Hotel accommodation (Japanese luxury hotel, western-style bedding, private bathrooms)
- Daily yoga class at a 660-yr old private temple overlooking a Japanese garden
- Daily creativity and travel-journal classes
- Private Zen Meditation led by monk
- Daily Breakfast
- Most dinners and selected lunches
- Welcome cocktail reception
- Kaiseki (Japanese tasting) fine-dining welcome dinner
- Learn about and enjoy a Yudofu lunch
- Visit to a Japanese sake brewery for tour + tasting
- Transportation to/from day trips
- Visit to the Golden Pavilion and Sagano Bamboo forest
- Walking tour of Higashiyama district
- Entrance to Kyoto sites, temple visits
- Sample the local delicacies while strolling along Nishiki Market
- Private walking tour to Fushimi district, with its iconic thousands of red Shinto gates
- Japanese culture experience classes
- Kimono textile weaving studio and souvenir-making
- Participate in a tea ceremony in a gorgeous Japanese garden
- Spa day with treatments at luxury Kyoto spa
Does not include
How to get here
The nearest major international airport is Osaka Kansai International Airport (KIX). Search and book for flights here .
We can assist in your travel plans upon booking and arrival is simple by train or shuttle from airport
For those wishing to arrive/depart in Tokyo and/or extend their travel by adding some time in the capital city, this is easily reachable by direct bullet train to/from Kyoto.
To book this Yoga and Creativity Retreat in Japan, send your enquiry to the team who will get back to you within 24 hours or email us directly on firstname.lastname@example.org.